Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Playtime fun





There are things I never thought about.

When Annabelle was born I was so confident she would be an only child I didn’t allow myself to daydream of her and a sibling, I simply counted my blessings.

Once Nate became known I still didn’t think about it, as if wanting something so badly would make it go away.

Then we found out Nate was a boy although overjoyed I didn’t envision 2 children as playmates – Growing up with siblings a decade older I had no frame of reference.

But now I am experiencing joy I couldn’t have imagined even if it had been drawn out for me – my kids really love each other.

It started with Nate – he would just light up when he heard Annabelle’s voice or saw her bounding into the room. Then he was crawling. I think a big part of his early crawling was he wanted to be wherever Annabelle was at that moment. Then he would smile, he would laugh, he let her know she was his favorite source of entertainment. She began to thaw, no longer did she cast an annoyed look whenever he invaded her space, and in fact she started to really enjoy his company too.

Now, they play. They chase, they peek-a-boo, they go from one room to the next giggling. Every night at dinner when Nate sees Annabelle getting down his legs start kicking from his highchair, if he is not released immediately he will shriek until he can join his favorite girl for their nightly game of crawl through the tunnel.

Tom & I just watch with love in our eyes – the first couple of times I cried a bit. These are memories I will always carry with me. I know they will not always get along; I know he will rip the heads off her dolls or read her diary but for now – at this time- witnessing their pure innocent joy together is the best thing I never expected.

5 comments:

Heather said...

Awww I love it. :)

Jessica said...

How sweet! My midwives told me that the first 6 months of having a new one with another child under 2 was the hardest part... but once the baby started to become more interactive then the kids really started to play and enjoy being with each other. I'm glad to see that they weren't lying to me to make me feel better! *lol*

Cori said...

Love this.

Do they take a bath together yet? I am daydreaming about that one . . .

Mom of 2 boys said...

Kristen - as my mom use to tell me and my brother (who was 2 1/2 years older than me) "you'll love one another again some day" when we would annoy each other mercifully! And you know what ... she was right. I got such a smile reading this post - brought back good memories of my childhood with my brother.

Sarah said...

I have followed your blog since the babycenter March 2007 board we were all on!
This post brought tears to my eyes....Sophia is Annabelle's age and my son is 16 months as of now...and I can completely FEEL how are you feeling. I get chills, almost every day, by watching them interact!
And, as Nate gets older, it will only get better!