Friday, June 26, 2009
Meet the Godparents
Anyone looking in from the outside would say “Oh I see, you just pick your nieces and nephews for Godparents, that is easy”
To that I say “No, hell no, that is not the case at all”. Well yes, it is true we choose our nephew & his wife to be Annabelle’s sponsors and yes, we choose our niece and twin nephews to stand for Nate but being the spawn of our siblings is not our only requirement in choosing lifelong mentors for our children. Upon reflection I realize we are so fortunate to admire our kinfolk this way (some of them). I mean aside from the “you love them because you share DNA” factor, we really do like these people.
Nate does not have 2 “half-godfathers”, he has 2 Godfathers, which I think makes him so very blessed. As I watched the 3 of them this weekend at Nate’s baptism I was filled with gratitude. I am so happy for Nate that he will have the 3 of them in his life in such a special role. I list the reasons below in chronological birth order and alphabetically, no other reason.
Jennifer – Ever since I have known Jen she has been asking for a cousin so she could baby-sit. Well, here you are, sorry it took over 12 years since you first asked. I hope the offer has not expired as you are no longer a teenager. Jennifer graduated this past year with a double major in education and child psychology. Who better to help me understand what to do with a middle school age boy than someone who works with them everyday (she will have been teaching a dozen years by then) Thank goodness, I didn’t understand boys then and I sure don’t now. She has already bought him a book called How to talk to girls and has stated it is her mission to teach him how to treat a female. I think that is a fabulous idea.
Jeremy – As our family says “Jeremy is well, Jeremy” He is unique, driven, super smart, loyal and behind that grin you can always see the wheels turning. I think Nate is blessed to have Jeremy as an example. Jeremy gets things done and finds a way to get what he wants. Jeremy will be the one to take Nate out for his 21st birthday, I am sure it will be an occasion to remember. Plus Jeremy has always said he is going to be rich, I don’t doubt that for a minute so it doesn’t hurt to have a Godfather with some bucks.
Josh – Josh is a natural charmer, he gives you a smile and you will do whatever he asks. I see some of that in Nate already and I am sure Josh will help him to cultivate that skill. Josh is a football coach, he thinks strategically plus he is very logical. Josh can quickly analyze a situation and come up with the most practical solution and execute without pondering “what if”. I see Josh teaching Nate many many things throughout his lifetime, from sports to real essence guidance.
All 3 of them offer him the outlook of youth while still being older enough to be wise. I hope Nathaniel will look to them at times when he can’t to his parents, or just when he needs a fresh perspective.
I feel confident we made a wise choice indeed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
What an awesome family to be born into. Lucky, blessed Nate.
I've had a castanza moment going back for the jerk store comeback lol...
I may take Nate our for his 21st birthday even though i'll be 43 (haha wow) and he probably will want to be hanging out with his friends not his old rich uncle, but I'll def watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show with him at a very young age...haha
not that I really disagree with anything that was written about me but if I'm going to be known for taking him out to drink...
Post a Comment